A recent survey conducted by sat- nav manufacturer Garmin revealed that half of drivers couldn’t name a road they enjoyed driving on.
One in three people thought the M25 was the worst road to drive on and London was voted the worst city to drive in.
Top 10 worst roads in Britain
3. Spaghetti Junction in Birmingham
4. North Circular in London
5. Oxford Circus
7. Hanger Lane Gyratory in London
8. South Circular in London
Top 10 best roads in Britain
1. A591 Keswick to Windermere
2. A82 Glasgow to Fort William
3. A38 Exeter to Plymouth
4. M48 across the Severn Bridge
5. A696 Newcastle-upon-Tyne to the Scottish Borders
6. A3 overlooking the Devil’s Punchbowl
7. A1 or A167 at the Angel of the North
8. A537 out of Macclesfield
9. A25 Dorking to Guildford
10. Oxford Street in London
Traffic jams, followed by accidents, boring scenery and confusing road signs were the reasons given for unpleasant and uninspiring driving; one of which the RAC Foundation believes can be easily remedied- less road signs! See our blog on our campaign against street clutter with the Commission for the Protection of Rural England.